F1 star to miss British Grand Prix after positive coronavirus test

Sergio Perez’s team has denied reports he travelled back home as the Mexican became the first F1 driver to test positive to COVID-19.

F1: The Canadian, American, Mexican and Brazilian Grand Prix have all been cancelled due to concerns surrounding the Coronavirus.

Formula One driver Sergio Perez has tested positive for the coronavirus and will miss this weekend’s British Grand Prix, his Racing Point team said today.

Organisers insisted that Sunday’s race will still go ahead as the incident “will have no wider impact on the event”.

“Following the announcement that Sergio has tested positive for COVID-19 at the Silverstone Circuit ahead of the British Grand Prix, the team regrets to announce that he will be unable to participate in this weekend’s race,” Racing Point said in a statement.

The 30-year-old Mexican is the first driver to test positive for the virus since the world championship made its delayed start in Austria earlier in July under strict health protocols.

Racing Point has denied Perez returned to Mexico after the Hungarian GP despite reports he was sighted in a Guadalajara restaurant on July 21. ESPN is also reporting the driver’s wife Carola Martinez posted photos on Instagram — which have since been deleted — of the pair on holiday in Italy between the races in Hungary and Britain.

“Sergio is physically well and in good spirits, but he will continue to self-isolate under the guidelines of the relevant public health authorities, with safety the ultimate priority for the team and the sport,” Perez’s team said.

Perez will likely be replaced by either fellow Mexican Esteban Gutierrez or Belgian Stoffel Vandoorne for Sunday’s race, the fourth round of this season’s truncated calendar.

Earlier, Racing Point said that Perez had returned an “inconclusive COVID-19 test”. He was absent from Thursday’s official media activities as he awaited the outcome of a second test.

F1 has a strict protocol for all involved at a Grand Prix with personnel tested before each event and every five days.

The F1 season has so far seen more than 15,000 tests. Until Friday, there had been only two positive results, both of which were for local set-up staff.

“Perez has entered self-quarantine in accordance with the instructions of the relevant public health authorities, and will continue to follow the procedure mandated by those authorities,” read a statement issued by Formula 1 and governing body the FIA.

“With assistance of the local organiser of the British Grand Prix, local health authorities and the FIA COVID-19 delegate, a full track and trace initiative has been undertaken and all close contacts have been quarantined.

“The procedures set out by the FIA and Formula 1 have provided for swift containment of an incident that will have no wider impact on this weekend’s event.”

Speaking before the COVID-19 delayed season began in Austria, F1 chairman and chief executive Chase Carey said the sport would not cancel an event if a driver returned a positive test.

“We encourage teams to have procedures in place so if an individual has to go into quarantine, we have the ability to quarantine them at a hotel and then to replace that individual,” he said.

Perez, who made his F1 debut in 2011, is sixth in the 20-driver championship this season after three rounds.

All three races so far — back-to-back events in Austria followed by the Hungarian Grand Prix — have taken place behind closed doors.

Perez had started each of the last 122 races since his absence from the Malaysian Grand Prix in 2014.

The 2020 season should have started in Melbourne in March but the race was cancelled after McLaren withdrew when one of their team member tested positive for the coronavirus.

A NOTE ABOUT RELEVANT ADVERTISING: We collect information about the content (including ads) you use across this site and use it to make both advertising and content more relevant to you on our network and other sites. Find out more about our policy and your choices, including how to opt-out.

Source: https://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/formula-one/f1-2020-sergio-perez-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-will-miss-british-gp/news-story/64d2b4d481554fca429d29baec07efc6

Sergio Pérez, Formula 1, Racing Point F1 Team, British Grand Prix, Coronavirus

World news – AU – F1 star to miss British Grand Prix after positive coronavirus test

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *