Elphicke was Conservative MP for Kent constituency of Dover and Deal from 2010 until last year
The former Conservative MP Charlie Elphicke has been found guilty of three counts of sexual assault against two women.
The father-of-two, who represented the Kent constituency of Dover and Deal from 2010 until last year, had denied the three charges, two in relation to a young parliamentary worker in 2016 and one in relation to a woman at his family’s central London home in 2007.
He lost the Tory whip in 2017 when the allegations were referred to the police but was reinstated in December 2018 before a vote of confidence in the then prime minister, Theresa May.
Elphicke, who was told he will be sentenced on 15 September, sighed and looked at his lawyer as the unanimous verdicts were returned.
The judge, Mrs Justice Whipple, said: “All options remain very much on the table, including the possibility of an immediate custodial sentence.”
Giving evidence at his trial last Monday at Southwark crown court, Elphicke admitted not telling police the truth when they asked him about one of the women he was accused of sexually assaulting, saying he feared it would destroy his marriage.
He also said tried he to keep his affair with another woman secret from his wife, Natalie, because he did not think his marriage would survive. The woman was not one of the complainants in the trial.
Natalie Elphicke, who ran for office and became the Conservative MP for Dover and Deal after her husband did not stand in 2019, accompanied him to some of the hearings.
News – Ex-MP Charlie Elphicke convicted of sexual assault