Romania’s Simona Halep, world No. 3 and defending champion, has withdrawn from the Wimbledon tournament which begins Monday due to a left calf injury, organizers said on Friday (June 25th).

“It is with great sadness that I announce my withdrawal from the Championships because I have not fully recovered from my calf injury,” said the 29-year-old in a statement.

Simona Halep won her first Grand Slam title in 2018 at Roland Garros, then the second in 2019 at Wimbledon. “I did everything to be ready for Wimbledon, and strong in my memories of two years ago ( the 2020 edition had been canceled due to Covid), I really wanted and felt very honored to come back to these magnificent courts as the defending champion. Unfortunately, my body did not cooperate “, explains the Romanian.

“I can honestly say that I feel down and disappointed to have to make this decision. This whole period has been complicated, but missing these last two Majors makes it even more difficult for me psychologically and physically,” he adds. she hoping to come back “stronger as a person and as an athlete”.

Wimbledon among juniors, high school life, precocity records … the 5 things to know about Iga Swiatek, winner of Roland-Garros

Ref: https://www.francetvinfo.fr