the essential
At 1 am, more than a hundred firefighters remained mobilized in the sectors of Agen-Boé, Agen-Jasmin, Grand Agen and Le Passage. No victim. The water was still stagnant in a few areas.

It was between 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. that torrential rains fell on Agenais. It rained heavily in various points of Lot-et-Garonne, as announced by Météo France on Wednesday morning, but it is of course in the city prefecture that the stormy episode was the most intense: 128 millimeters of rain in two hours , depending on the prefecture.

“We had to deal with a very intense phenomenon, and which remained stationed above Agen for two hours”, one explains to the crisis unit of the prefecture of Lot-et-Garonne. Faced with such an influx of water, the drainage systems were quickly saturated. Water streamed through the streets, and stopped in certain low points, such as rue Fon de Raché (Saint-Hilaire district) where firefighters were still present around 1 a.m., including rescuers and divers. Reconnaissance took place in cellars.

“We are at 130 interventions, in progress or to come, explains the colonel in charge of the firefighters of Lot-et-Garonne. We still have 70 firefighters on the ground, about thirty land vehicles and nautical means.” The situation is now stabilized. The rain stopped at 10 pm, and since then the water is flowing slowly, but surely. Still rue Fon de Raché, residents were finishing cleaning their garages. “My washing machine is ruined,” said a young man, who is sure of himself: “The water has risen to 1 meter.” Even 2 meters, according to the town hall.

The damage is above all material. Reached last night at 11:30 p.m., the mayor’s chief of staff thus established an initial assessment for the municipality: “Fortunately, as I speak to you, we have no victim to deplore. But we have equipment that has been affected, such as the Armandie stadium where the Dubroca lounge is degraded. We have infiltrations at the Stadium. Rodrigue’s gymnasium is underwater. Sports equipment is also weakened at the Armandia Sports Plain. As I speak to you, the firefighters’ divers are carrying out investigations in cellars on rue des Charretiers. The water also caused damage on the side of Avenue Jean-Jaurès. Two people had to be relocated, including a person with reduced mobility who was taken in at the Salève home. Jasmin, Barleté and Rodrigue.

The firefighters carried out in the evening about twenty safety measures, and in Agen the number of relocations finally amounts to three. Recognitions were also underway in schools. We also know that the water entered the Lycée Palissy (Boulevard Pelletan was flooded and closed to traffic). In Boé, part of the roof of the Géant Casino collapsed under the weight of the rain.

“Regarding the road network, specified around 1 am the prefecture, two departmental roads are still cut at this time. Some roads are also impassable. It is requested not to go there: the RD13 has been cut at the level of hamlet of Saint-Julien in the commune of Foulayronnes and Laugnac: a fallen tree and an electric pole block the tracks; the RD302 was cut at the level of the Vallon de Verone; the RD16 in Tayrac is impassable; the RD931 is also impassable at the level from the roundabout in Estillac, Mestre-Marty business area. ” Train traffic was also interrupted (Bordeaux / Toulouse line), due to a flooded tunnel.

This Thursday morning, only a few pockets of water should remain. But the prefecture remains on alert, because rain is expected again in the afternoon. but nothing comparable with the episode of Wednesday evening: “There, it was really exceptional”, adds an official at the prefecture.