President Donald Trump is expected to present the Presidential Medal of Freedom to Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), one of his strongest allies and the congressman he has appeared with most on Fox News in recent years.
Jordan is expected to receive the honor next week, according to the Associated Press. Jordan is among a group of Republicans who planned to object Wednesday to the certification of President-elect Joe Biden in support of Trump’s unsubstantiated claim that massive electoral fraud was responsible for his election defeat. Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif. ), another Trump loyalist and frequent Fox guest, was honored on Monday.
He often spoke vehemently in defense of the president on Jordan’s Fox News appearances. According to an analysis by Media Matters, he was a guest on the channel, which Trump regularly watched at least 286 times during his presidency between August 2017 and December 2020.
Nunes had 198 interviews on Fox News over the same period, making him the seventh most popular member of Congress on the network.
Before entering politics, Jordan was a wrestling coach at Ohio State University between 1987 and 1995. Several students have alleged that Jordan knowingly participated in a cover-up of alleged rampant sexual abuse by team doctor Richard Strauss, who was accused of molesting at least 177 students between 1979 and 1998. Jordan has denied the claims.
The Medal of Freedom is the nation’s highest civil honor. It was founded in 1963 by former President John F.. founded. Kennedy with the aim of “rewarding individuals who have made exceptional contributions to the security or national interests of America, world peace, or cultural or other significant public or private endeavors,” according to the White House.
Trump paid homage to controversial conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh last year. Limbaugh was awarded the medal during Trump’s 2020 State of the Union speech, an unprecedented move. In the case of personal awards, the medals are more likely to be awarded at ceremonies in the White House.
Some of Trump’s recipients have been controversial figures known for their personal loyalty to him. Others who received the award were athletes like Tiger Woods, Jerry West, and Roger Staubach. Trump also posthumously awarded the medal to three people – Elvis Presley, Babe Ruth, and Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.
With only two weeks left in his presidency, Trump has awarded the medal 20 times without Jordan, the lowest number of recipients of any president. Kennedy awarded the medal 29 times in the months leading up to his November 1963 murder. Former President Barack Obama presented the medal 118 times during his two terms, including once “with honors” to Biden, while former President George W.. . Bush has awarded it 85 times in his eight years.
Sign up for our daily newsletter for more articles like this one. Access to 5 additional articles
See why nearly a quarter of a million subscribers start their day on Start 5.
Donald Trump, Devin Nunes, Republican Party, Presidential Medal of Freedom, United States Congress freedom
. . Related title :
– Trump gives Jim Jordan, Fox News& # 39; Most frequent guest at Congress, the Medal of Freedom
– <a href="/?s=Trump gives the highest honor to the man who undermined the impeachment and investigation of Russia
– President Trump awards two great patriots the medal of freedom
– Trump gives Jim Jordan, member of Congress with the most Fox News appearances, the Medal of Freedom news appearances
– Business Insider: Trump awards the long-time loyalist and GOP representative the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Devin Nunes
– Trump uses the last days in office to give his cronies special perks give
– & # 39; Republicans across the country& # 39; counting on Georgia voters: Rep. Nunes
– GA election officials reject Trump call to & # 39 ; find& # 39; more votes
– Republican Party stands before the decisive moment under Trump& # 39; s shadow
– 10 things you need to know today: 5. January 2021