“There are no plans to suspend the season at the moment,” NBA boss Adam Silver said on Tuesday. Despite the rebound of the Covid-19 pandemic caused by the Omicron variant, the American basketball league wants to move forward. She is even considering reducing the period during which players must stay away if they test positive.

Asked about ESPN, Adam Silver felt that the NBA, like all of society, should learn to live with the virus even though the Omicron variant causes a new rise in contamination which has forced the postponement of five matches this week. “Of course, we looked at all the options. We had a hard time establishing a logic that would justify an interruption. (…) This virus is not going to go away and we will have to learn to live with it “, he said, believing that” the thing which seems justified and responsible is to continue to play “.

More than 80 players have entered the Covid protocol put in place by the NBA in recent days, leading the organizers of the championship to relax the rules allowing the use of players from replacement teams. Clarified that the NBA could reduce the number of days players must not play once they are concerned with the application of anti-Covid protocols. He pointed out that 97% of them were vaccinated and 65% had received a third dose.

However, he does not envisage compulsory vaccination in the context of discussions with organizations representing players on health measures. “Many of the people among the 3% of unvaccinated have had the Covid and have developed antibodies. For me, the priority is the third dose for the other 97%,” he said. he added, specifying that the Omicron variant was responsible for 90% of recent contaminations.

Ref: https://rmcsport.bfmtv.com