Sport Football legend Pelé operated on for ‘suspicious’ colon tumor in Brazil
FRAGILE HEALTH The three-time world football champion assured on Instagram that he felt good
He should be on his feet Tuesday. Brazilian Pelé, 80, underwent surgery on Saturday for a “suspicious” colon tumor, Albert Einstein Hospital announced on Monday.
Sao Paulo, adding that the football legend “was recovering” in an intensive care unit.
The tumor was discovered during routine examinations and a biopsy will be performed, said the hospital, where “King” Pelé has been staying for six days.
“Thank God I feel very good (…) Fortunately, I am used to celebrating great victories by your side. I’ll play this new game with a smile and a lot of optimism, ”the three-time world champion wrote on his Instagram account.
Pelé, whose real name is Edson Arantes do Nascimento, is due to be discharged from intensive care on Tuesday, the hospital said in a statement. The health of what many consider the greatest footballer of all time has been fragile in recent years, with several hospitalizations.
The last one dates back to April 2019, in Paris, because of a severe urinary tract infection. Back in Brazil, he had a kidney stone removed.
At the end of 2014, Pelé had already suffered from a serious urinary tract infection and was placed in intensive care and on dialysis. He is also diminished by hip problems and was able to move around with a walker during his last public appearances.
In February 2020, Pelé reassured his admirers of his mental health, after his son Edinho said he was living “reclusive” and suffering “from some form of depression”.
06/12/21 | PODCAST
08/11/21 | SOCCER
03/15/21 | COUNTER
Choice of consent © Copyright 20 Minutes – Attendance at 20 Minutes is certified by the CMPA